Janitors are responsible for cleaning and maintaining commercial buildings, which can be a dangerous job. They are often exposed to hazardous chemicals, slippery floors, and heavy machinery. In addition, they may come into contact with dangerous pests and vermin. It is important for janitors to take steps to protect themselves from injury. They should always wear proper safety gear, such as gloves, goggles, and hard hats(where necessary). They should also be aware of the potential hazards in their work environment and take steps to avoid them. Employers have a legal responsibility to provide a safe workplace for their employees. This includes providing janitors with the proper safety gear and training. Employers who fail to meet their safety obligations can be held liable for injuries that occur to their employees.
In South Carolina, there are a number of legal repercussions that can occur by not hiring a professional janitorial staff to maintain your commercial building. These include:
- Liability for injuries to employees. As mentioned above, employers have a legal responsibility to provide a safe workplace for their employees. If an employee is injured while cleaning your building, you may be held liable for their injuries.
- Fines from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). OSHA is a federal agency that enforces workplace safety regulations. If you are found to be in violation of OSHA regulations, you may be fined.
- Damage to your property. If your building is not properly cleaned and maintained, it can suffer damage from pests, vermin, and mold. This can lead to costly repairs.
- Loss of business. A dirty and cluttered building can give customers a negative impression of your business. This can lead to lost sales and profits.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Janitorial Service
If you are considering hiring a janitorial service, there are a few questions you should ask to make sure you are getting the best possible service. These questions include:
- What is your experience in cleaning commercial buildings?
- What type of safety training do your employees have?
- What type of equipment do you use?
- What is your pricing structure?
What are some of the most common hazards that janitors face?
Some of the most common hazards that janitors face include: slip and fall hazards, exposure to hazardous chemicals, contact with dangerous pests and vermin, and use of heavy machinery. These are just a few examples of daily hazards janitors have to manage.
What steps can janitors take to protect themselves from injury?
Janitors can take a number of steps to protect themselves from injury, including: wearing proper safety gear, such as gloves, goggles, and hard hats, being aware of the potential hazards in their work environment, and taking steps to avoid hazards, such as using caution when cleaning slippery floors or handling hazardous chemicals.
What are the legal repercussions of an employer failing to provide a safe workplace for their employees?
Employers who fail to provide a safe workplace for their employees can be held liable for injuries that occur to their employees. In some cases, employers may also be fined by OSHA.
What are some tips for choosing a safe and reliable janitorial service?
Here are some tips for choosing a safe and reliable janitorial service. First, get references from previous clients. Second, ask about the company’s safety procedures. And lastly, make sure the company is insured, licensed, and certified. If there are any red flags during these questions, move on to another janitorial service provider. These are simple and easy questions for any professional janitorial service provider like Upstate Janitorial.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your commercial building is clean and safe for your employees and customers. Janitorial safety is an important issue that should not be taken lightly. By taking steps to protect your employees and your property, you can avoid the legal repercussions that can occur by not hiring a professional janitorial staff. The best way to avoid any possible legal disputes is to hire qualified, experienced janitors like Upstate Janitorial.